Kale Apple Salad
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, washed, dried and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 Lady Alice® apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted, coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- Cut the kale in 1/2-inch ribbons and place in a large nonreactive bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, measure the red wine vinegar into a small, nonreactive bowl, add the shallot and a pinch of kosher salt, and allow to sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, slowly whisk in the olive oil, followed by the yogurt and half of the crumbled blue cheese. Pour the dressing over the kale ribbons and use your fingertips to massage the greens until they begin to wilt and soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Taste a piece to see if the texture is to your liking; the kale itself should taste sweeter.
- Add the sliced apples, hazelnuts and remaining crumbled blue cheese and toss with your hands to fully incorporate the ingredients.
Salad, Side, Easy, Gluten-Free