Apple, Chayote Squash & Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chayote, peeled, pit removed and diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large apples, cored, unpeeled and diced (suggest Fuji, Gala or Golden Delicious)
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Optional garnish: chopped chives, cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Grease a large roasting pan with ½ a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chayote and sweet potato into the pan and drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the vegetables. Stir well to coat with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saute pan, cook bacon at medium high heat until crispy and golden brown. Using a slotted spoon remove cooked bacon from pan, carefully transfer grease into a heat proof bowl. Keep approximately one teaspoon of rendered bacon fat in the saute pan and return to medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook for 5−7 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Add in the apples, bacon and pepper−onion mixture and stir well. Return to oven and roast for an additional 15−20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden brown. Serve hash with poached or fried egg and garnish with chopped herbs if you wish. Serves 4.
Breakfast, Brunch, Easy, Gluten-Free