Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Almonds
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 Lady Alice apples, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Red lettuce leaves
Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
Combine the chicken, apples, celery, grapes, and green onions in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss until well mixed. Chill several hours or until serving.
Place lettuce leaves on individual serving plates. Top with salad and garnish with almonds.
To ripen your pears:
- Leave firm, unripe pears at room temperature so that they can ripen.
- Check ripeness by applying gentle pressure to the stem end (neck) of the pear with your thumb. If it yields to pressure, then it's ripe and ready to eat!
- Once the pear is ripe, it can be refrigerated to slow the ripening process and saved for up to five days.
Don't refrigerate an unripe pear! Ripened pears can be used at once or put under refrigeration (35o to 45o F) until you want to use them. Refrigeration will delay further ripening but will not stop it altogether so you should plan to use the pears within 5 days Pears need to ripen at room temperature, so don't refrigerate an unripe pear!
Place un-ripe pears in a fruit bowl at room temperature near other ripening fruit like bananas, which naturally give off ethylene and will help speed up the ripening process.